Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Statement Piece - A Work In Progress

I am going to make a necklace. This is going to be a "statement" piece. The statement?? To see how many beads I can fit on a necklace! LOL

Seriously, I have in my mind's eye a glorious necklace full of lots of turquoise, lapis, coral, and a few other additions. I'm thinking up to 12 strands. Maybe a few charms, or dangles, I'm not sure yet. And I would like to document as I go along, and show you this work in progress.

Here is what I have gathered together so far.

(click on any photo to enlarge)


The main theme will be turquoise. Most of the turquoise I have is from the Kingman mine here in Arizona. I also have some from the Nacozari mine in Sonora, Mexico.



Hmmm, I also have some green turquoise from Kingman that I didn't pull out. I'm sure some will find their way into the necklace.

I also have some lapis lazuli. Beautiful cobalt blue lapis!



I have a couple of huge red jasper beads, drilled down the center, that should be noticeable even within 12 strands! Some brown aventurine. A couple of strands of double beaded red coral (dyed sponge coral). More lapis.



For spacers, I have these interesting Bali sterling silver double holed spacers. These will be in the "main" strand, or at least the one I am going to start with. Which will actually be a double strand. A double strand of mostly turquoise.



I have a few sterling silver reducing cones that I'll be using. I may have to use 2 on each end, I don't think 1 is big enough for 12 strands.



I've pulled out a couple of my heavier toggle clasps. However, the Tucson Fall Gem Show (not the huge one that happens in the winter) is this weekend, and I will be looking at multiple strand toggles.



So be sure to check in every now and then to see how my work is progressing. It may take me a few days, it may take me a few weeks. More likely a few weeks.

1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

WOW! That does look like quite a statement piece. I can't wait to see it on.