Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Taking Apart a Necklace

Remember The Desert Princess? This is an 8 strand necklace of turquoise and lapis that I made a couple of years ago. I documented the process of making it here on my blog. To see the blog posts about the making of the necklace, just do a search of this blog using "desert princess". This is the necklace ... lots of turquoise and lapis!




It got plenty of attention, but didn't sell. SO .... I took it apart! Yes, yes I did! :) Now, it's going to be 2 necklaces instead of one.  I have completed one of the necklaces. This is choker length. I tried making it a bit longer, but the strand reducers on each side need to be laying on the back of the neck, otherwise the reducers dig into the sides of the neck. I like the way it came out, it looks very regal!


The total length of the shortest strand including the clasp is a little over 14 inches. So you see, a real choker length.


The blue 8mm rondell beads are turquoise from the Kingman mine here in Arizona. The green turquoise is also from the Kingman mine. The lovely blue turquoise tear drop beads are from the Nacozari mine in Sonara, Mexico.


All of the metal is sterling silver.



A lovely southwest style! I'm happy with the outcome of this necklace. Now, I need to work on the other half of The Desert Princess!

This necklace is listed in my Etsy jewelry shop, just click here to see

4 Strand Turquoise Necklace

And, my own desert princess ... Dakota ! :)


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am just new to your blog and just spent about 1 hour and 30 minutes lurking and reading.
handmade soap